Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Questions on Levels

On 11/19/2010 10:22 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
Mike writes:
dBFS is a peak level.

That's not the way I understand it. Am I wrong? It's
no different than dBu or dBV - just a different "reference"
level. Thus it would be an RMS measure.

We're getting wrapped around the axle here since I don't
know what your real question is. What you're asking is kind
of abstract.

dBFS is dB referenced to full scale which is all the bits on
dBu is dB referenced to .775 volts
dBV is dB referenced to 1 volt

Any of those can be RMS or peak. Peak is significant when
dealing with digital levels, but the only level that's
really significant is the one beyond which you can't go
higher, and that's only one level, 0 dBFS

So you're saying then it's FS sine.

If you say so. Please ask your REAL question if you have
one. Are you looking for a solution to a problem? Or trying
to interpret some marketing goof's data sheet or manual? If
you're just looking for definitions and conventions, then
you have them.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff