Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Questions on Levels

In article , Randy Yates wrote:
One other question: is there a specification on the absolute maximum
signal voltage magnitude for a line level output?

No, and that's the problem. The standards are average and not peak standards,
and so the amount of headroom required over average is not defined.

For me, I'd like to see 20 dB over average level before clipping, maybe more.
Unfortunately a lot of "pro audio" gear does not do this.

I believe your questions are answered by IEC 60027-3, and by AES standard
AES-R2-1998. Peak-reading standards are in AES-R7-2006.