Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Sound Forge Pro

On 7/12/2016 2:16 PM, Luxey wrote:

What did you use SF and WL for?

Editing stereo recordings, splicing pieces of alternate takes together,
putting songs in order, occasionally adjusting levels. I don't do
"mastering" - it bores me. I let someone else do it. They get paid more
than I do.

BTW Wavelab's "Montage" module was soooo much
better than SF's detached and lame, heavy, prone to crashes "Architect" effort.

I never understood Montage. I fumbled my way through it a time or two,
but I found it so much easier to do with Sound Forge. Actually, my
favorite stereo editor at the time was Fast Edit, but they stopped
supporting it years ago.

I never had a problem with CD Architect crashing, at least I don't
remember any issues. Now that it's integrated with the editor, once I
get a file of pieces stuck together the way I want them, creating an
audio CD from that is really simple, and I understand all the steps and
the vocabulary.

Back to real time processing ...
For me, having to render file only to hear if the EQ applied was right,
then undo, try again ... was not exactly ideal situation.

Sound Forge, at least for its own processes, has a "Preview" button so
you can play as much or as little of the file through it as you want,
and listen as you're making adjustments. You can bypass the process in
the preview mode so you can make sure you're really making things
better. I'm sure there are good reasons for liking whatever it is that
you like better, but I don't need to learn any more than I know now for
what work I do.

Real time processing was available in popular multitracks at the time, but they
were rather clumsy in basic editing, cut, insert fade ...

That's what I like about Sound Forge, and I agree with you that DAWs
weren't very good as editors. In fact, something I use now and then,
maybe it's Reaper, lets you send edits off to your favorite editing
program rather than using the built-in one. Actually, the best thing
I've ever used for editing within the multitrack environment is my
Mackie HDR24/96 recorder. When I tell people how easy it is to put
something right where I think it should go, then adjust it, and drag the
edges at the crossfade to make it work, they tell me "Pro Tools does
that." But Pro Tools didn't do it in 1999 when the HDR was designed.

Since I use mixer, too, I also do not need all those features. Reaper
is fine and cheap, works well ...., but it looks too much like a PC to me.

There are a whole bunch of "skins" to change the appearance. To me it
makes good sense - you have a recorder and you have a mixer. That looks
like a control room to me. Except that the mixer doesn't have enough knobs.

I've played around with Harrison MixBus and there are some things that I
like about it. One is that the mixer _does_ have enough knobs most of
the time - perfectly useful EQ and compressor. If I had a 50 inch
monitor I'd probably be reasonably happy with it. I never studied
editing with it though. It looks kind of like what a Linux programmer
who never edited audio would come up with, but then, that's its genesis.
It's built around Ardour. Harrison has done a lot to make it more like a
studio tool, and for the $20 I paid for it (I think it's back to $80 and
they haven't had a special for a while) it's a great deal. But I've been
dragging my feet to spend $40 for the update to the version I have
(since I don't use it enough to justify putting any more $$ into it),
and they have a new version that emulates the Harrison Series 32
console, that they want $150 for. I'm sure it's well worth it for those
committed to that path.

Also, I never used too much of advanced functions, like audio quantizing and
all that. I'd rather manually cut, crossfade ...
I did use their built in version of "Melodyne", though. There I could move,
stretch and tune for all the money.

I don't have the patience to do that. If somebody sings out of tune,
I'll have them do another take or two or do a punch-in. My time is worth
more to me than what I can justify charging, and I don't make any music
myself that I'd want to record.