Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Default Sound Forge Pro

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 5:26:59 PM UTC+2, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/12/2016 10:56 AM, Luxey wrote:
Sound Forge lost it many years ago when it arrived too late to implement real
time plug ins. Many people decided Wavelab's counterintuitive interface is small
price to pay for a rack of real time processing and FX.

And I felt exactly the opposite. I rarely use plug-ins, and never when
recording, so whatever they did with them, I guess I never noticed that
they were late to the party.

What did you use SF and WL for? BTW Wavelab's "Montage" module was soooo much
better than SF's detached and lame, heavy, prone to crashes "Architect" effort.

Back to real time processing ...
For me, having to render file only to hear if the EQ applied was right,
then undo, try again ... was not exactly ideal situation. I mean, there was a
short preview, which was OK while it was all you could find around, but once
you could do it in real time, over the course of the whole song, or other "program material" there was no going back to "preview - render - check - (try
again)" scheme.

Real time processing was available in popular multitracks at the time, but they
were rather clumsy in basic editing, cut, insert fade ...

So, if home made CD mastering was the deal ...

For strictly audio multitrack I'd always stick to Cubase. I think they got the
UI just right.

I played around with Nuendo when it was pretty much the same as Cubase
with more convenient routing for studio use - headphone mixes and such.
I couldn't get accustomed to the vocabulary. Since I use a console for
my mixing, I didn't really need all of those features. Reaper works just
fine for me when I'm tracking, and I only have Pro Tools for people who
insist, or so when I'm reviewing something and it's appropriate, I can
confidently say "it works with Pro Tools."

Since I use mixer, too, I also do not need all those features. Reaper
is fine and cheap, works well ...., but it looks too much like a PC to me. I
have to look and search for things too much. Maybe after a period of adapting
it'd all come in place, but I don't have the patience to go through learning
process.
With Cubase graphics I could instantly recognize studio stuff as I knew it in
hardware and most of the time I correctly guess which way to reach for
whatever.
Also, I never used too much of advanced functions, like audio quantizing and
all that. I'd rather manually cut, crossfade ...
I did use their built in version of "Melodyne", though. There I could move,
stretch and tune for all the money.