Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:09:23 -0500, Randy Yates wrote:
AZ Nomad writes:
[...]
I'm waiting for the encryption to be broken before buying. If I can't play
my media where, when, and how I want, I'm not buying.

I like having my media copied to a central server, instead having my household
littered with little plastic disks.

If the encryption is never broken, that is OK with me too.

I'd be one of the last ones to stick up for the sharks in Hollywood, but
a very real problem with this is that many folks won't be honest. Many
folks, granted an easy copy ability, would "share" their videos with
their family and friends so everyone could reduce their $$$ outlay, and
that is cheating, in my book.

Then produce a decent copy management system. Hire some computer science
college grads and leave the marketing department out of creating the
requirements. Make it open source and transferable at prices negotiated
by the buyer and seller only. If I want to sell a HD/BR movie for a buck,
so be it. It is none of the movie studio's business other than to
insure that copies that are transfered can't be still owned by the original
owner. Until that occurs, the movie studios can go **** themselves.

Having said that, I do believe that if one pays for a DVD/CD/whatever,
they should be free to use it where ever and whenever they want, and to
make unlimited copies for such usage, as long as it used only among the
immediate household members. For example, I think the mindset that says
you can't copy a CD for car use (to avoid scratching your nice master) is
bull****.

I'm ok with not having unlimited copies, but I should also be able to replace
the physical media without buying it again. Model it on the software
industry who have somewhat inteligently addressed the issue. If my copy of
microsoft office gets a bad third disk, I don't have to shell out $600 for a
new set. I can just buy the third disk, or even copy it from somebody else.
It is the license that matters. I can also get a software ware license that
permits N users. IE: two licenced copies in a household would permit two
simultanious plays.