Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default HD or BluRay?

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Chris Hornbeck" wrote ...
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
I wonder if the powers that be have figured out that the format that has
the
first economical writer will have an advantage with many consumers.

Bingo. Also, anybody wishing to be competitive selling players
a year away will need a player capable of *both* formats.

I think that we (in this newsgroup) have an unusual POV
and are greatly overestimating the impact of DVD writing
on the marketplace. Are there even 10 DVD writing drives
sold for every 1000 DVD players?

**You seem to be under the common misconception that the movie industry
rules the roost. It doesn't. The computer gaming is larger and dominates.
Ask yourself how many DVD burners are sold. The current retail price might
provide some kind of guide.

And if you were a big Hollywood studio executive, you would
be more favoriable to the format that is LEAST available to
all those "poachers and counterfeiters" out there. (i.e. you and
me from their POV) even if we aren't ripping off their dreck. :-)

**And again, you seem to think that Hollywood counts in this business.
Hollywood will follow the gaming industry (specifically) and the computer
industry (generally).

Note that there are several DVD newsgroups where this topic
is discussed regularly (by people much closer to the issues than
most of us).

**And those who do not understand the influence of the gaming industry will
miss the point too.

Trevor Wilson