Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Default Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

Hi Scott and all,

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but what do you consider
some of the "newer designs" that are beginning to displace the AKG
phones? I have a pair of K240's that I like, but I'm considering new
headphones and will want to check out other options if they are truly
better.

Dean

On Jun 28, 9:59 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

Depending on where and when you want to use the headphones, it is good
to remember that the all time Industry Standard earphones are and
always were the Beyer Dynamic DT 100.

No matter what studio you visit in the world they will always have
those earphones....TV... Radio .... whatever.

Not so much any more. I still have a pair in the truck... they aren't
all that great-sounding, but they always work and they don't leak much.
You used to see the DT100 and the AKG K240M in every studio, although
these days they are pretty well displaced by newer designes.

They can be purchased in various Impedance values. Basically,
impedance has nothing to do with quality, only to do with loudness.
So, the higher the impedance the lower the loudness....Okay? In
simple terms. I am sure that a lot of contributors will have a lot to
say about that statement? I base my theory on the fact that a 4 OHM
speaker will be much louder than an 8 OHM speaker when driven by the
same amp.?

Until the amp clips, sure. That's the thing... a lower-Z headphone will
require more current from the amp, but less voltage. You get whichever
one is appropriate for the amp you have, or vice-versa.

This stuff has always been 'black magic'.

Not really. The only thing that becomes worrisome is the difference between
ear canal volumes, which results in the bass response being different from
person to person, even if measured directly with a microphone in the ear.