Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

Default Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 3:39:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

** That is complete bull****.

I have spent a great deal of time in my so far 46 year career
testing and verifying makers specs for audio equipment
( including speakers ) and find very little to complain about.

Then why do we keep seeing frequency ranges without tolerances? And why
will you never see a distortion spec on a loudspeaker?

** Here is the context that Mr Dorsey mischievously snipped:

" As I said, published specifications for loudspeakers, and in fact, for
most audio products, aren't worth the paper they're printed on "

My comment was clearly about *published specs* !!

If specs are simply not supplied, that is another matter.

I get the spec sheet. Important stuff is missing. Enough to frequently
make the spec sheet worthless.

** Really ? You are bull****ting wildly.

It's getting worse too. I have three microphones from China with the same
frequency response plots. The measured frequency response of all three
bears no connection to the supplied plot. The manufacturer bought a capsule
from someplace and put the capsule manufacturer's plot on the microphone
datasheet, totally ignoring the contribution of the rest of the microphone.

** Really - that is enough for you to condemn the entire audio industry for publishing false specs ? How absurd.

The term "frequency range" means what is says, the range of frequencies
a speaker is capable of producing. Frequency response is a different spec, requiring a graph.

You put enough power into anything and it'll move. Maybe not for very long
before it fails, but it'll move.

** Really - is that the best you can do?

Distortion specs are non simple, as the amount varies widely with
frequency and level. Reviews sometimes cover THD with a series of graphs.

Yes. Be really nice to see distortion spectra too, but you won't see one on
a datasheet.

** Still not an example of publishing false specs.

Get real.

..... Phil

I took you seriously until you started engaging in ad hominem attacks.