Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

In article , Mike Rivers wrote:
On 22/04/2019 10:31 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
The amplifier is clipping, the speaker is breaking up, the
cabinet
is deliberately designed to limit bandwidth.Â* Not only that, the
output of
the amp at high levels is looping back into the guitar pickups, causing
the system to ring.Â* The amplifier/speaker is half the system and is
likely
more a source of "tone" than the instrument itself.

On 4/23/2019 7:21 AM, Trevor wrote:
You misunderstand, read my original post in full. The sound will
definitely depend on the speaker and everything else as you say. BUT *I*
wouldn't design a guitar amp around *ONE* guitar, and change the speaker
for a different guitar. Would you?

I think that what Scott was trying to get across is not that you would
design the guitar, processors, amplifier, cabinet, and speaker as a
unit, but rather, that a speaker intended for use with an electric
guitar would have different design parameters than one that was intended
to be used in a home bookshelf speaker, which would have different
design parameters than one intended for use in a PA line-array system, etc.

This is true. But... I know plenty of guitarists who have several different
amps. They use this amp when they want this tone and that amp when they
want that tone. Just like sax reeds.