Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

** That is complete bull****.

I have spent a great deal of time in my so far 46 year career
testing and verifying makers specs for audio equipment
( including speakers ) and find very little to complain about.

Then why do we keep seeing frequency ranges without tolerances? And why
will you never see a distortion spec on a loudspeaker?

** Here is the context that Mr Dorsey mischievously snipped:

" As I said, published specifications for loudspeakers, and in fact, for
most audio products, aren't worth the paper they're printed on "

My comment was clearly about *published specs* !!

If specs are simply not supplied, that is another matter.

I get the spec sheet. Important stuff is missing. Enough to frequently
make the spec sheet worthless.

It's getting worse too. I have three microphones from China with the same
frequency response plots. The measured frequency response of all three
bears no connection to the supplied plot. The manufacturer bought a capsule
from someplace and put the capsule manufacturer's plot on the microphone
datasheet, totally ignoring the contribution of the rest of the microphone.

The term "frequency range" means what is says, the range of frequencies a speaker is capable of producing. Frequency response is a different spec, requiring a graph.

You put enough power into anything and it'll move. Maybe not for very long
before it fails, but it'll move.

Distortion specs are non simple, as the amount varies widely with frequency and level. Reviews sometimes cover THD with a series of graphs.

Yes. Be really nice to see distortion spectra too, but you won't see one on
a datasheet.