Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] pallison49@gmail.com is offline

Default Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

Scott Dorsey wrote:

** That is complete bull****.

I have spent a great deal of time in my so far 46 year career
testing and verifying makers specs for audio equipment
( including speakers ) and find very little to complain about.

Then why do we keep seeing frequency ranges without tolerances? And why
will you never see a distortion spec on a loudspeaker?

** Here is the context that Mr Dorsey mischievously snipped:

" As I said, published specifications for loudspeakers, and in fact, for
most audio products, aren't worth the paper they're printed on "

My comment was clearly about *published specs* !!

If specs are simply not supplied, that is another matter.

FYI:

The term "frequency range" means what is says, the range of frequencies a speaker is capable of producing. Frequency response is a different spec, requiring a graph.

Distortion specs are non simple, as the amount varies widely with frequency and level. Reviews sometimes cover THD with a series of graphs.

..... Phil