Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default digital dilemma-cont'd-CD sales DOWN

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

jailhouserock wrote:
the bell has tolled for CD

http://www.hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/77/

This is just some shilling for Sony and Philips and
their licensess
My dear boy, this is the bell tolling for the entire
industry. --scott

????

Presumably meaning the shift from physical media to
downloads?

And lower quality.

There's no doubt in my mind that lossy compression is rarely without some
kind of sonic impact. What we are seeing now is another re-definition of
what consumers need in the way of SQ to be happy. Over the past 50+ years
the public has been happy with 78s, 45s, 33s, 8-track, cassette, CD, AC-3
(DD), MP3, and AAC. The highest quality of the bunch is CD. The formats
since then have compromised sound quality, by amounts ranging from a little
to a little more. I've always suspected that the CD format was a bit
overkill - the acceptance of lesser formats just says that consumers either
agree with me, or are even more lenient.

People don't want to sit still for music any more.

Agreed. Music all by itself isn't enough to attract their full attention
like it used to be.

They want it as a kind of brain-feed, through earbuds.

This is just a consequence of the previous point.