Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

Barkingspyder wrote:

One thing is certain, realistic audio reproduction, the kind you seem
to be crying out for is impossible. It is impossible with 2 speakers
or 7.1 speakers. It is even less possible with Bose
direct/reflecting speaker systems, especially using the inferior
drivers they choose. I have had the chance to listen to many
different speakers systems and some work better than others, but none
of them ever matched real life. Some, however managed to convey very
pleasant, worthwhile enjoyment, which given the limits of current
technology is fine by me. I don't really see the point of
continually claiming it's being done badly or incorrectly when the
fact is at it's best, stereo is done as well as it can be. You can't
continually complain about it being bad when the fact is it really
can't be much better because of the limits of technology. This has
all been done to to death and I have come to understand that unless
some new scientific breakthrough comes along, making it possible to
capture more realistic sound, this is what we have and it's pointless
to keep harping on it. You might want to find a place where you can
audition a Linkwitz speaker system and see how well 2 channel sound
can be done.

Dear Spyder,

Sounds like you are taking no prisoners, so I will keep it short.

First, I didn't say a word about Bose 901 speakers.

Second, I just gave you an example of undeniably perfect reproduction, which
you pressed on to tell me could not be done, without addressing my example.

Third, I do have a new "scientific breakthrough" that I call Image Model
Theory. It is a different way of looking at the reproduction problem that
leads to different ways of designing radiation pattern and positioning
speakers and doing room acoustics.

Fourth and finally, using that theory I built some very cheap box speakers
with Radio Shack components that I entered in Siegfried Linkwitz's Challenge
experiment, and I beat the Orions in a head to head double blind listening
session with the criterion of realism of the reproduced sound. Please Email
me if interested.

Gary Eickmeier