Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

ScottW wrote:
On Apr 24, 7:17 pm, Audio_Empire wrote:
Now with cardioids , they have a directional
attribute in their pick-up pattern.

How does one differentiate in a cardiod output from a quiet sound
coming into the front (sensitive area) and a loud sound coming from
the side?

Amplitude itself is not sufficient to provide a realistic 3D.

You missed the point of AE's post. He wasn't saying that the cardioid
pattern has anything to do with the stereo. Just talking in general about
directivity in microphones.

I'll leave the claim that all close mic'd, studio recordings, etc. are
not in fact stereo recordings....as an opinion based upon ancient
greek language.

Another misunderstanding. It's a long story.

The common modern use of the word as a noun to name a recording or a
playback system....stereo means two channels.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...british/stereo

I don't care what somebody's dictionary says. The word means a field-type
auditory perspective system.
Width, height, and depth in the reproduction of a multi-channel recording.
The Bell Labs had three channels to do the same job. We now have 5. You
could have one channel per instrument and arrange them on your own
soundstage and it would still be "stereophonic." You could compose a piece
for ten loudspeakers, a piece that was never performed in any other space,
and it would still be stereophonic if it could be portrayed with more than
one channel and present a width, depth, and height to the presentation of
the sounds.

Live music is stereophonic, unless you are listening from the next room.

Technically the "stereo" part means solid, all three axes. The "phonic" part
means on loudspeakers.

On the other system, binaural, the "bi" part means two. The "aural" part
means ears. We have binaural and monaural, or one eared. Monophonic would be
one loudspeaker. But it would still be mono if it was played on two
loudspeakers, if the music came from just one channel. Mono sound presented
on headphone would be diotic. All of these terms were defined by the
pioneers from Bell Labs, and then later forgotten.

Gary Eickmeier