Arny Krueger

Default ProTools or Cool Edit ? ? ?

"IS" wrote in message
news
I would like to ask if there is a way, in CEP, to grab the Selection

Cursor
or the thing that moves across the screen when it's playing, and somehow

let
it move with the mouse?

When you're not in play mode (my preferred mode for editing is in stopped
mode) the selection cursor is positioned by putting the mouse some place and
clicking it.

Sometimes when I've zoomed in to a very small area and a split second

takes
up the whole work area it moves at an 'impossible to follow' speed.

As you may know, Cool Edit allows magnifying and editing at the individual
sample level. There's no way to make sense of music playing at that level of
magnification. If you want to edit at high levels of magnification,
basically you have to learn how to edit visually. Music, speech and other
audio signals have recognizable patterns at several different levels. If you
can exploit that it opens the door to a lot of speed and power.

As I mentioned lately, I Edit extensively in Cool Edit, but I do so almost
entirely visually. I only listen to find out where to start editing, or to
audition finished edits. To me the real power of CE is the way it
facilitates visual editing. No way do I want to wait for some change to be
applied to a selection in real time. That's fantastically old-fashioned,
like waiting for a tape to rewind!