Bob Cain

Default ProTools or Cool Edit ? ? ?

IS wrote:

I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer (a trial version) and now it's time for
me to make up my mind. Do I want to keep it or not?

I've used CEP for a number of years and except for the
recent bout of instability as it went through it's 2.0
release I have loved it. 2.1 seems to be pretty stable
although it's performance in multitrack is not nearly up to
what is needed to use a practical number of effects as track
inserts. On a 933 mHz machine like mine it falls to its
knees and stutters way too quickly for that but if you are
only doing a couple of tracks it should support you fine.

CEP comes with a remarkably complete toolkit of processes
and functions for manipulating the sound and their quality
is good. I haven't used ProTools other than an aborted
attempt to see what PTFree was like a couple of years ago.
The question I would have for those who do use it is how
does it compare to CEP in terms of built in process
capabilitites? Does the toolkit that comes with CEP have an
equivalent set in PT or are the dymanics, filters, reverbs,
transforms, convolvers, etc. all added cost plugins?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein