Mark T. Wieczorek

Default ProTools or Cool Edit ? ? ?

"IS" wrote in
news
I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer (a trial version) and now it's
time for me to make up my mind. Do I want to keep it or not?

If I buy it I will have to spend about 200 on a mic pre amp (that's my
budget) so the total with pre amp and Cool Edit Pro is 200 + 250 =
450. That's exactly how much Mbox with ProTools LE costs.
I have never tried ProTools, but some people say it's a better
software than Cool Edit.

Would someone please advice me if I should spend my money on the MBox
with ProTools le, or Cool Edit Pro plus a Mic Pre amp?

I am buying this only to record my self playing a classical guitar.
I will never record anything more than perhaps me playing a duet with
my self.
But that's it, I'm doing this in my home.

The big thing I don't like about ProTools, if this is true, is that
the sales man (Guitar Center) told me that I can only use the MBox
with it. That I can not use any other pre amp.
Plus I can only record two tracks at a time.
With Cool Edit Pro I can use any preamp.

Thanks for any advice.

I use both, and I like both. The sales guy is right, ProTools *requires*
you buy the ProTools hardware to get it to work. So if you're planning on
installing CEP on another computer, or giving it to (ahem) your friends,
then it seems DigiDesign has the best copy protection here, and CEP would
be the way to go.

If you have Win9x or OS9 lying around, try ProTools free, available on
DigiDesign's website.

If you like CEP, stick with it, though take a look at the threads here
about Adobe's recent acquisition of Syntrillium, and the cheap deal you can
get on Red Rover.

The main advantage of ProTools over Cool Edit Pro is that your sessions
should travel a little easier to studios that use ProTools. If you're
ProTools on a Mac, it would be even easier.

My assessent is this: ProTools is the easiest of all the audio apps I've
used, Cool Edit Pro is a close second. Cubase/Nuendo, and Sonar are far
behind and I just find them confusing unless I re-read the manual when I
start up with them again.

Good luck to you!

Regards,
Mark