Jim Gregory

Default need cheap preamp for dynamic mic for mic input on computer

wrote in message
oups.com...
J Mac wrote:
I want to use a low cost dynamic microphone that I have in
the computer mic in (for learning language) and the one I have
is barely audible with the mic input turned all the way up.

I need a cheap preamp to boost the signal.

Any ideas? I thought surely it was something Radio Shack would
have but I can't find one.

If you're looking for something low cost that will 'just work', rather
than making high-end studio quality recordings, maybe a little
behringer mixer is just the thing for you. The UB502 can be had at
around $30 (new) on eBay (recommended retail price $44,99 USD, assuming
you're in the States).

http://www.behringer.com/UB502/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Now, that is amazingly cheap for a basic mic preamp quoted with very low
distortion, but it could do with another 12dB of available gain to be
considered pro.

Before anything though, you may want to make sure you're not
accidentally using the line input of your soundcard instead of the mic
input.

Absolutely!