Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Mara Machines

On 12/15/2018 10:13 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
mcp6453 wrote:
What machine would you suggest as an alternative? It has to be something
with excellent tape handling since a lot of these tapes are old and
brittle. And they are broadcast tapes, for the most part.

Revox B77 or PR99. Watch out for the button assembly on the front panel,
they are not repairable and if the plastic is brittle, wait for another
unit.

The Revox machines are unbelievably light on tape compared with the studio
machines. They do have a lot of fixed surface area in contact with the
tape so they have more issues with sticky tapes than an ATR-100. The
flutter is higher than on an ATR-100 but no worse than a 440. They are a
major pain to align but for playback only you don't care.

I don't know who is doing refurbs on Revoxes but they have to be out there.
Jon Hall used to do very good work. They are easy machines to work on
and everything is modular. If the heads are good and the buttons are good,
buy the machine and put a new pinch roller on it as soon as you get it.

The A77 is as good a machine, and they don't have the button issues, but
they are a good bit older and parts are harder to find.

Watch out that some of these machines were quarter track/7.5 ips, and not
only don't you want one of those but you don't want a machine that was badly
converted to high speed because there are some of those out there. If the
capstan area has been crudely drilled out, stay away.

If you're looking for a studio machine, the JH-110 is not a bad one, nor
is the Ampex 440. Both can be had for a few hundred dollars in good shape.
Ask on the Ampex Mailing List or the equivalent MCI list. But if I were
dealing with tapes in poor condition I'd go the Revox route.
--scott

Fascinating. Back when I had Revoxes, I "Jonesed" for an AG440, 280B, or
J110.

If anyone finds a good PR99, I would appreciate the referral.