Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Mara Machines

On 10/12/2018 10:04 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
I've always wanted a rebuilt ATR-102 to transfer all of my reels, but
the $10K price tag is hard to swallow. Now there's an option at half the
price: The Mara Machines 2-track 1/4" is $5,000. They rebuild MCI
machines. What do you think? I thought about buying one, using it for a
year or two, and selling it. However, things I buy tend to depreciate
rapidly.

Mara will be at the AES show next week. Go there and check them out.
Advance registration closes after this weekend, so the Exhibits Plus
pass is still free with a promo code. AES18NOW is a good one.

http://www.aes.org/events/145/registration

I'm sure Mara will sell you a good JH-110, but that's no ATR-102.

I think this is a fad and in a couple of years, you'll have a hard time
selling it, but I could be wrong. There are lots of nutty people in this
business. Will it make you enough money so you can afford a loss or not
selling it at all? Or is this your midlife crisis Ferrari and you don't
care how much you lose as long as you're having fun? Frankly, I think
you'd have more fun and learn more with an easier-to-maintain 16- or
24-track like an Ampex MM1200, and for probably less money.