Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

Default Is there any reason not to connect the music source directly to the

On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 7:28:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a whim to try this, but before I do I thought I'd post here in case there are any obvious dangers -- I don't want to fry the speakers, for example.

The power amp is a Quad 520f, and the speakers are ESL 63s. Source is streamed and controlled with a tablet app which has its own volume control.

Depends on the output level of the tablet - and the sensitivity of the amp. Most amps (not all, just most) are rated at 2V - that is, they will put out their full wattage at a 2-volt input. There are other factors, of course.

So, if the tablet output voltage is the functional equivalent of a pre-amp output, you will be fine. If it is designed to drive headphones, you may get some serious distortion at higher volumes. And some ESL speakers, if overdriven will arc. So, start low, see how it sounds. There is no intrinsic reason why the source should not be connected to the amp in any case as long as there is a volume control involved.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA