Posted to rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tubeguy@myshop.com is offline

Default How do you test a Selenium Rectifier?

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 10:57:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 01:26:41 -0600, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

A DMM won't read correctly. No enough voltage compliance on the current
source to read ohms correctly.

True, but it *might* give some rough indication, like if the thing has
somehow shorted out. I have a few of those lying around somewhere; I'll
measure 'em with a DVM just out of curiosity and see if I get readings
like those reported by tabbs.

Just replace it with a 1N4007 diode and about 100 ohms series resistor.

Not kosher if you want to keep the internals original! Many collectors
are extremely fussy about that.

I plan to leave it on the chassis for looks, but replace it.
My voltage is real low, so it seems it's weak or worse....