Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bob Lombard[_3_] Bob Lombard[_3_] is offline

Default Old faithful

On 10/16/2013 1:24 PM, ScottW wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:58:25 AM UTC-7, Walt wrote:
On 10/16/2013 6:10 AM, Greg Wormald wrote:

And there's a lot to that. An unpowered speaker is a passive radiator
that will vibrate in response to the sound field and re-radiate acoustic
energy thereby changing how things sound. It's just like the
sympathetic strings on a sitar or a hardanger fiddle.

I would really like see a report that shows this vibration is of sufficient energy to actually produce an audible sound at the listening position.

And what is the reason that a "powered" speaker won't vibrate as well?
What about other drivers in a multi-driver system? Aren't they stimulated to vibrate as well?

Frankly...you might be able to get a little resonance...but if it's undamped to the point of producing audible sound from the sound field of another speaker...that speakers going to be a mess when powered.

ScottW

I actually get the opposite impression - that the unpowered speaker
absorbs some of the sound energy. Maybe returns a lower energy wave out
of phase; cancelling? But then what do I know?

bl