Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

Default Analog vs Digital- Again

On Nov 11, 4:30 pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Codifus wrote:
Even though I've never listened to an SACD or DVD-A, I'm inclined to
beleive you about SACD sounding better than CD. I vaguely recall that
there is scientific evidence which shows that.

There isn't.

SACD seems to handle
transients much better than CD and DVD-A, so much so that the DVD-A spec
was corrected with a better reconstruction filter technology I beleive
by Meridian to make it handle transients better.

Where'd you get this from?

This sounds like the old 'square wave' demo, or Pyramix advertising, both of
which are communly used in flawed arguments.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

I can't find that particular article, but there are lots of technical
articles to be googled upon showing the superior capability of SACD
and DVD-A. Whether those differences can be appreciated by most
consumers I think is, or was, really the issue. It is apparently not
so given what's happened in the market.

Speaking of square waves, here's an interesting article showing the
differences between the formats on how well they reproduce a square
wave;

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surr.../page_07.shtml

By the way, even though the war is pretty much over and CD or MP3
seems to have won, I was always hoping for DVD-A, and even if no one
won, CD is fine. Technologies such as XRCD and players like the
Consonance linear 120 player which does not rely on oversampling at
all, show that CD audio can achieve excellent audio performance with
the very good implementation of digital filtering and the mastering
process in making a CD. DSD, while being better than CD in most
aspects, is actually worse than CD in others, and also seems to be a
way for Sony to keep things proprietary. On every single technical
aspect, though, DVD-A is better than CD. DVD is CD on steroids, based
on the same PCM technology. SACD was better in the transients mainly
due to the format not relying on digital filtering at all, and that
weakness was addressed in DVD-A.

Interestingly, on the really expensive multi-format optical players,
reviews tend to show that the differences between the CD, SACD and
DVD-A are getting smaller which would tend to suggest that the flaws
of a format were mostly in implementation.

Anyway, enough rambling on for me

CD