Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Analog vs Digital- Again

Sonnova wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:36:00 -0800, Codifus wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
Irrelevant, immaterial, and also mostly untrue. I've never heard an LP or a
good analog tape, for that matter make the kind of distorted mess that MP3s
can make of music. MP3s made at a high data rate can sound OK, but I'd
rather
listen to an LP or especially a good recent CD of the same performance.

There are good and bad MP3 encoders out there. The bad ones tend to be
fast, even at 320 kbps. Try hydrogen audio's LAME or even the
Fraunhoffer MP3 encoder inside CoolEdit. Both of these encoders do a
very good job of making MP3s. They take their time to process but the
results are really worth it if you want the best MP3s.

CD

I don't want MP3s at all. I use Apple Lossless Compression (ALC) on my iPod.
Now, if only iPods had better D/A's and analog circuitry in them....

again, ipods have pretty good DAC and analog circuitry in the, check
out Stereophile's bench tests.