Bob Cain

Default Doppler Distortion - Fact or Fiction

I've got an argument that so far has withstood some scrutiny
which shows that Doppler distortion in a myth.

What would refute it and point out any flaw in the reasoning
would be the dynamical expression for the time varying
function of the pressure wave in an infinite tube with an
ideal piston as a function of an arbitrary, time varying
function of the force applied to that piston. I've asked
numerous places for that, including alt.sci.acoustics,
sci.physics and sci.physics.research and have looked hard
for a solution in the literature. Nothing to date. I think
there is a good reason for that; the force and pressure in
the wave are simply proportional and thus there is no such
thing as Doppler distortion. At least that is what my
reasoning from first principles says.

So I'm issuing a challenge to anyone here that thinks they
might be able to analyze it and produce an equation that
isn't a simple proportionality and is non-linear, as it must
be for the frequency modulation required of this so called
Doppler distortion. If you do it and it withstands peer
scrutiny, you get the pleasure of knowing that I have a
leather hat meal awaiting me (and the strong possiblity that
you've gone where no one else has gone before.) :-)

No heuristic arguments involving two tones, please, but a
real (or complex) equation that applies to any signal.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein