Mike Rivers

In article writes:

My final comment concerns do it yourself cabling verus pre-fab. While
I have wired a couple of studios "from scratch" starting with thousand
foot coils of Mogami 2944, there is an alternative worth considering.

Yup, some of those places can do the job for practically the end
user's parts cost, and they do neater work than many of us. It takes
good planning, though. When you're working on site, you pull enough
cable off the roll to get from here to there and you know it fits. If
you're going to order cables, you need to measure accurately and allow
for bends, hangers, and a little slop in case you want to move
something. Planning often takes nearly as much time as just doing but
it's worth it if you have a big job.

But if you just need a few cables, it's quicker and easier to just
make them yourself.

I've seen a few programs for system designers that include a data base
for cables, but they're pretty expensive and I haven't seen one yet
(I've seen maybe three - don't remember any names) where I haven't
thought (and said to the one demonstrating it to me) "Why are they
doing it THAT way? It doesn't make sense."

Write one, sell it for $25, and about 50 people will beat a path to
your door. g

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )