Arny Krueger

Default What Software for Editing Sound on PC

"David White" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"David White" wrote in message
Yes, I've been using Winamp for that purpose to speed things along.
Goldwave doesn't equalize in real time. However, I haven't figured
out how to convert Winamp equalizer settings to Goldwave settings.

They each seem to have a different idea of what a dB is. Goldwave
seems to be about twice as sensitive.

If you're talking about the Goldwave graphic equalizer, it does have
slightly more dB range (24 dB) as the Winamp equalizer (20 dB). A
given graphic adjustment has about 1/5 more effect, if the scales
are correct.

I thought the dB values were absolute in both cases, so if you
increase a band by 1 dB, the affected fequencies increase by 1 dB,
regardless of the range allowed.

Agreed. But there's a perceptual issue due to the fact that the graphic
controls have a different dB range. If you read the numbers, they are what
they are. BTW, there's no guarantee that the numbers are truly
representative, but a little FR testing would tell the tale.

The Winamp bands (11) are narrower than the Gold wave bands (7).
Broader bands have more obvious effects all other things being
equal, because they affect a wider range of frequencies.

Yes, maybe that's the reason Goldwave seems more sensitive.

I think we're on the same page, here.