Dick Pierce

Default More cable questions!

Bruce wrote in message ...
(Bob-Stanton) wrote in
om:

wrote in message

I've got well designed gear (in my opinion--intelligent solid-state
pre- and power- amps), and I'm not looking for audible effects. I'm
just mucking about, trying to understand the theory here, short of
taking a full electronics refresher course.

The effective inductance, at a given frequency, for a given load, is a
function of the distributed capacitance as well as the physical size
of the conductors. You would need to use transmission line theory to
calculate it accuratly. (A discrete element equivalent circuit will
also give close results.)

Transmission line theory is useless below about a 1/10 wavelength. At 20
kHz, this is several thousand feet.

It's not "useless" per se. It just is no more useful than a properly
done lumped-parameter model, is often times significantly more difficult
to use, even though it comes up with pretty much the same answers.
People on this forum and others have shouted mightely about how only
the transmission line model is any good, and then have utterly failed
to show ANY supporting data from the real word that supports such a
contention. One vocal and strident adherent of this view even said, in
effect, that real data has no relevance to his "theory."