Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default "Are Modern Recording Practices Damaging Music?"

Les Cargill wrote:

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Feb 13, 8:11 am, "William
wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 13, 6:25 am, "William
wrote:

Have you seen photographs of Frank Sinatra's recording sessions? He
performed "live", in front of the orchestra, in what I assume was a
studio
designed specifically for pleasing-sounding recordings, and without
(IIRC)
a plethora of mics.
Your last paragraph reminds me of something I've been dying to do for
some years now: Experiment with recording techniques that involve
only as many microphones as humans have ears. Seriously! Think
about how we hear andt it'll make sense.

You must be very new to recording. Simply-miked stereo recordings have been
around for nearly 60 years.

When I made live recordings, I almost always used only two mics. I did,
however, make Ambisonic recordings using three mics, and quad recordings
using four.

The "correct" number of mics has no necessary relationship to the number of
ears we have. The issue is whether the recording contains the necessary
directional cues, and whether they can be correctly presented during
playback.

______

So then perhaps the industry should put more effort into those
techniques instead of quickly resorting to simple 'pan-pot' mono with
a dozen or more mics and racks of fx. As I recall music is supposed
to come from a stage - not a small box with blinking lights&
knobs.

Only if you ignore radio. In Colin Escott's biography of Hank
Williams, people used to ask radio sellers "does this thing get
Hank Williams?"

Thanks for that. To deny the music boxes would be funny in contest of
this thread, which is all about what's coming out of those boxes.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri