Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@nomail.bellsloth.net is offline

Default "Are Modern Recording Practices Damaging Music?"

On 2012-02-12 said:
Still, time is a great filter of crap. After 4 centuries Bach

survives but the
formulaic insipid pop music from the 1920s and 30s is, thankfully,
largely gone (to name just one time period). It'll take a while

to sweep through the
more-recent decades. It's just annoying at times to live through

the crap of
the day; tough to realize that it is circling the drain and will

one day be gone.
Do you think that badly recorded music is likely to make it harder
for future generations to separate "good" music from bad?

I do, for one. it will be much more difficult for future
listeners to separate signal from noise, wheat from chaff,
however you want to put it. EVerybody will have their own
bit of "nostalgia" music and, just like today's popular
music, nobody will step outside his favorite genre or
comfort zone.
A few years ago while doing some antenna work one of the
guys working with me pulled his truck up in the yard and
fired up a local station out of New ORleans that billed
itself as retro, playing '80's hits. A whole bunch of '80's
synth pop. eeew But, that's what he heard growing up, so
that was his nostalgia trip.

Culturally we're much to fragmented, and the dreck will
survive inside its cultural niches. Heck, even my mother
can recognize Beatles songs she liked that were heard on
popular radio along withcountry, some light jazz, a little
bit of everything back in the '60's. I doubt if she'd
recognize one pop tune of today, because she doesn't listen
to anything but that "new country" stuff. I'm much the
same, I spin the dial when listening to broadcast radio past
all the pop stuff, I don't pay any attention to it at all,
and, I hate to say it, but the same with the "new" country.
When I do listen to it because I"m in a public place where
it's playing i don't find it compelling or interesting
listening.
I haven't heard a country artist play anything but a
straight four midtempo rock beat now for over a decade, once
in awhile something with 3 beats per measure, but rarely a
swing or a good fast shuffle. ITs' a rock beat with twangy
guitars.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider