Posted to rec.audio.car
justin time

Default playing waveforms that are clipped to begin with

George wrote in
news
Is it dangerous to play MP3/WAV files that, when viewing their
waveform in an editor program, show that the waveform is clipped at
the loudest points? I understand that speakers are in danger when
head units or amplifiers clip a signal, but I do have a number of
digital music files that seem to contain clipping to begin with, and I
am afraid I may be causing damage to my speakers or sub.

Thanks for any help,
George

I think that's a toss-up. A lot of people will say no and a lot of people
will say yes. My guess is that it won't hurt anything at considerable
volume and power levels. You're not getting much more than a square wave
with high amplitude, and your amp will be reproducing this, but if you're
hearing a noise that sounds like popping or a fart I'd be more worried
about physically busting your speaker cone at high volume rather than
overheating your amp or voice coils. Still, it's a toss up. I don't think
people really have the experience with this, but I've heard a few arguments
about it. If you really want to, download a different unclipped copy of the
audio if you can, or download Goldwave and try to clean it up a little bit.

http://www.usenet.com