Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy

Default Sound absorption in air.

Chel van Gennip wrote:
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0...299/main.shtml I thin the
http://www.ktu.lt/ultra/journal/pdf_...adisauskas.pdf

Both of these articles are discussing air absorption in the context of
ultrasonic transducers.

It is indeed more than you expect. For a living room situation I see about
3 db for 20 kHz at 4m. For a concert hall situation I see 20dB loss for
20kHz at 28m. I am afraid there are no fast transients or extremely high
frequencies for sound in a real life concert hall.

Now you've switched context and are referring to losses in the audible
frequency range (i.e. not ultrasonic).

For all practical (read audible) purposes, the absorption of sound by
air is not significant for indoor listening situations.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.