Mike Rivers

Default Is all audio literature shallow? Where is the IN-DEPTH info?

In article writes:

To make an exaggeration: there's a little trick with the sidechain to
to de-es vocals. Only nobody writes or tells about it, so every new
sound engineer must waste time and find it out for themselves.

That's one of the oldest ones in the book. I think it's even in the
instruction manual for the RNC. The way you learn this is to first
encounter the problem then ask someone what to do about it. Before I
ask you whether you have a compressor with a sidechain input and a
parametric equalizer (and you go out to buy one hoping this will solve
your problem) I'd suggest trying a different mic, different mic
placement, telling the singer not to hiss so much, or using some
dental wax to fill in the spaces between her teeth. Engineering isn't
about learning a solution, it's about exploring possible solutions. If
you didn't have to re-invent the wheel you'd be driving the same kind
of car as every other engineer. That's no fun.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )