Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Oversampling converters vs. high SRs

On 2/8/2019 8:12 PM, nickbatz wrote:
Well, processing 32-bit floating penis makes sense - and I'm almost convinced I kind of heard the difference one time during a blood moon while squinting and wearing lederhosen.

You need more virgins.

But I don't understand why having more samples to describe a sine wave that can only go one direction or the other makes any sense whatsoever.

It's more of a mastering argument. Everything you do to a waveform adds
more bits and usually creates harmonics. 24-bits leaves room for the
bits, and a doubling the sample rate keeps those harmonics that you can
deal with more gracefully if you leave them there until it's time to
bring the project back to a standard format.

I work mostly with instrument plug-ins and sample libraries these days, with occasional live overdubs, so it's not practical to sacrifice half my computer horsepower for such a small improvement - especially when the samples are recorded at 44.1 or 48 anyway.

You won't double your computer usage, but you'll increase it some. I'm
not arguing for 2x or 4x sample rates all the time. I record everything
at 24-bit 44.1 kHz because just about all the recording I do is live, in
the field. The less crap I record, the less I have to worry about what
to get rid of. If you like what you're doing, then just keep doing it.

On the rare occasions that I have a paying customer, if he asks for 96
kHz, I just push that button. The customer may not always be right, but
doing what he wants makes getting paid more certain.