Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 01/01/2021 16:06, John Williamson wrote:
On 01/01/2021 15:58, Paul Dorman wrote:
On 1/1/2021 8:14 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

They don't need to measure the tension because the tension is mostly a
function of the weight of the ring and that is the same every time.

Again, that's not what I'm seeing. It looks to me like he sets the
diaphragm tension by screwing the inner ring tighter. And he doesn't
measure the tension! He probably just tightens it enough to get the
wrinkles out of the mylar!

Watch the video more closely. The procedure Scott Dorsey describes is
what happens. The operator does not actively set the tension, which is
set by the weight of the outer ring, to which the diaphragm is bonded.
All the operator has to do is make sure the securing bolts that hold the
sandwich together are tight enough that the diaphragm or any other
component can not slip under vibration as experienced in use.

By the way, the only variable that can be affected by the torque of the
fixing screws is the spacing between the diaphragm and the stator, and
correct choice of materials and accurate machining will eliminate that
problem. You need a rigid, stable insulator for the spacer.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.