Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman Paul Dorman is offline

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 12/30/2020 2:51 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Paul Dorman wrote:
On 12/30/2020 7:24 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Paul Dorman wrote:

That Soyuz video was posted about 2 years ago, which
is recent enough for me!

As I said, Neumann used this method back in the fifties but they do not
any longer.

Since when do you speak for Neumann? What method do
you claim they use? And if it's so proprietary and "secret",
how do you know about it?

Knowing it exists is very different than knowing how to make it work.

I don't know how they do it, although I have some idea about it I don't
know enough to make it work. I know that it is not the same method that
Shure uses, however. Shure also has an automated tensioning system.

The trampoline method is interesting because you get reasonably accurate
tension across the trampoline ring, and then once you put the ring on top
of the microphone the tension is equalized and the tension is proportional
to the weight of the ring. Then when the retaining ring is screwed down
or cemented in place it more or less retains the tension that it got; it
doesn't matter what the torque on those screws is because they just clamp
the thing in place, they don't actually set the tension. It's not like a
drumhead. However, although it does equalize the tension, it does not do
so perfectly.

I can do a decent job with the trampoline method and I have certainly made
better capsules than Feilo and crew have, but I can't make something as good
as I would want to use.

So you claim Neumann uses a different method, but you don't
know what that method is? Sound like you are pulling things out of
your ass, just to support your argument that they have some sort
of esoteric "secret" method of making their capsules.

They probably still use the same method that everyone else does.

It looks to me like the famed U87 has been successfully reverse-
engineered, and with modern lathing and CNC techniques, the classic
U87 sound is now available to everyone.