Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Loudness wars revisited

Sorry in advance for this can of worms.

Just played a CD 'Crème Anglaise', with Supertramp saxophonist John
Helliwell. A lovely recording.

Then I put on Anastacia's 'Not That Kind', which I picked up 'used', on
a whim for $1 at a fund-raising store. Put it on and just about knocked
the house down.

Thundering deep synth bass - quite spectacular as a gimmick, but a bit
tedious to actually listen to. And the overall level I had to turn down
to about 1½ whereas the previous CD was comfortable at 5 !

My question is was that OTT bass intended to be heard as such, or
mastered that way in an effort to get 'good' bass on lesser replay
systems ? And the overall loudness thing, well I guess that's another
story...

geoff