geoff wrote:
"Was dismayed to realise that I'd left my earplugs at hotel Saturday
night when half-way to Macca concert. But thankfully the levels were not
at all excessive. Not like Neil Youg last(?) year, who was painful even
*with* 20dB Etymotic ear-plugs in ! "

If one needs to wear ear plugs at a concert
then something is clearly wrong.

Something is indeed clearly wrong.

Presumably you haven't been to many rock concerts in the last decade.....

geoff

I went to a concert at a Local ampitheatre this year.
Melissa Ethridge was the opening act. I always kind of liked her music but never gave much attention to the performer.
The concert blew me away! Not only was i amazed by the depth of her professionalism and quality of her playing, the sound was pristine.
During intermission I remarked to the sound guys for Ethridge how I appreciated the sound especially that it wasn't lead kick drum and bass guirar. Their response was thanks and"We were told".

The headliner was Pat Benatar along with Neil Giraldo. Crank up the levels! Boost the bass at 80 Hz. Horrible sound! 114dB{A}-ridiculous. I toughed it out with my electronic ear plugs but left before the encores. Too bad, I had heard Benatar at the Gorge a few years ago opening for Steve Miller and the sound then was great.

A few years ago at the MGM Grand, ZZTop was opening for Aerosmith, Another horrible experience. I left my $300 seat and sat in the mezzanine until they left the stage My guess on SPL at that concert was at least 120dB and the bass and kick drum obliterated any guitar or vocals. STUPID!

Aerosmith came out and the sound was fine.

Paul Simon played in Missoula last summer and the sound could have been a bit louder. I believe that the PA wasn't quite up to the outdoor gig. The level was probably ok, however there were people who would just not shut up. Another pique of mine.