Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default From some very unique minds

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

I had a buddy who was duped into a pair of 501s when he was in graduate
school. Not only did they sound lousy, but they weren't very well made
either. Not long after he purchased them, one started to buzz loudly. For
the
same money (at the time) he could have purchased any number of better
small
speakers from the likes of AR, Dyna (A-25s anybody?), or even Infinity.
But
he didn't ask my opinion, he just bought those awful Bose monstrosities!

I forget why, but at one point during my tour in England I bought a pair of
Bose 601s. I positioned them the same way I have recommended for the 901s,
one quarter of the room width in from the side walls and an equal amount out
from the front wall.

These speakers were more fun than a barrel full of drunk monkeys. They set
up a sound field that was so holographic I had to share it with someone who
was interested in this sort of thing. I had a relatively famous British
writer and acoustician, Peter Mapp, over for a listen. He was fascinated
enough that he vowed to obtain a pair of them for further study in his lab.
I don't know if anything ever came of it, but he did like them very much, at
least the way I had them configured.

Gary Eickmeier