Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mxsmanic Mxsmanic is offline

Default DAW utilizing multi core?

Soundhaspriority writes:

Even in general use, I find that with more than 4 cores, a lot of basic
OS/GUI functions start to behave a little funky. My Tyan Xeon dual processor
8 core machine is very funky. It never crashes, but the GUI misbehaves in
minor ways.

There are serious contention issues when you have a large number of processors
sharing the same memory and other resources. In the worst case, the contention
can make eight processors run more slowly than four. In the best case, eight
cores will run faster than four, but they will never run anywhere near twice
as fast.