Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Default Better Than ABX?

ScottW a scris:

People are against ABX because it is a flawed BIASED test
masquerading as an unbiased test. It adreeses biases toward perceiving
a differance, and does not address biases toward not hearin a
difference.

People are biased toward hearing differences where none exist.

That statement is a reflectioon of your particular bias.

I don't know where these other biases toward not hearing a difference
come from.

for one example, a certain professiomal audio clown.

There are three possible biases wehn listeningn to two pieces of
equipment. A will sound different/better than B, B will sound
different/better than A, or that they
will sound the same. Yet, the test has only two possible responses.,

Eliminate the preference question and the first two possibilities become
one. You have 2 possibilities and 2 possible responses.

No
the third response is "I can't tell if it is A or b"

not at all adressing the perception of sameness.

Sorry Art...what you describe is not an ABX test.
That a simple AB test as described here.
http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/ba...l_thinking.htm

which does talk some about the difference bias.

I've never seen anyone indicate people are biased towards sameness.

right, if you don't consider borgs to be people.

Not that it matters, we do not do our day to day listening in that test

environment, so, any result of such test is irrelevqnt towardes
normal sighted listening.

You are looking for a solution to a non existent problem.

From a consumer perspective I don't see a problem.
As a product developer/tester or researcher...there are questions
and unanswered questions usually pose a problem.
I'm not ever going to argue that AB or ABX are necessary
or even useful (worth the effort) for consumers.

ScottW