Posted to rec.audio.pro
Christian Best Christian Best is offline

Default replacement amp for a mono tube EMT 140

On Wednesday, 17 December 2014 23:16:52 UTC, Les Cargill wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:
"Christian Best" skrev i en meddelelse

hey all,i wanna convert this plate to a stereo solid state version,

What you want to do seems to me to be to convert a valuable classic to a -
to be positive - less valuable hot-rod.

So what problem is it you want to solve by doing it?

My opinion: Do not do it. Leave as is. If you need stereo verb then use a
digital stereo verb or room simulator on its output.

Untested instinctive opinion based on experience. Stereo can be overrated,
some of the time what a vox needs is exactly a mono plate sound return. I
remember recording an oratorio where just that was what made vox sound
natural and at the proper place in the perspective in spite of being
spot-miked, a natural verb sound just didn't do it right.

So how deterministic are plates? Would it be possible to record one
pass of mono on one track, then a second pass of mono on a separate
track?

I have done this with spring reverbs before. It wasn't *STEREO*, but
there was some difference between the two passes. And yeah - it's a
PITA

christian best

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

--
Les Cargill

right, I'm thinking i'll use the tube v54 mono amp to drive the plate and get either martech pick up's or piezo's for the stereo thing, then just use DI's and mic pre's to amplify.

"HOW MUCH OF THIS PLATE REVERB DO YOU HAVE, OR NOT HAVE?"

i have everything thats needed to run a mono tube plate.
minus the side panels and cover for the v54 amp,and remote,i reckon i'll get that made in time.
im not 100% bummed out that it won't be totally original,because in ireland where i come from, finding a plate is rare,so i have to work with what i got.
i'll need to get clips and spring too as it'll need to be tuned when it its final location.
thanks all again
regards
christian