Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Arny Krueger

Default Yahama "natural sound" amp specs?

"CWCunningham" charlesw-at-blackfoot.net wrote in message

Damping can also be important, but it's very interactive
with your speakers, and beyond my tiny understanding to
discuss ... there's lots of sharp guys here who may be
able to describe the implications.

Damping is a wierd spec because it is based on questionable logic. It is
based on loudspeaker impedance, but loudspeakers are generally thought to be
independent of power amps and we all know that loudspeaker impedance is a
strong function of frequency.

The better spec would be amplifier source impedance, which is a property of
just the power amp. Source impedance can be specified as a set of numbers
or a curve, as it also varies with frequency. But at least it doesn't change
every time you change the speaker.