Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,alt.music.home-studio
Mark D. Zacharias

Default Yahama "natural sound" amp specs?

Mike Rieves wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
. com...
Mike Rieves wrote:
"rumble" wrote in message
ups.com...
can anyone tell me where to find specs or an owner's manual for a:

YAMAHA NATURAL SOUND STEREO POWER AMP (M-50)

thanks

Yamaha is decent sound reinforcement stuff, amp power is usually
underrated, they put out more than the specs say, but it isn't
studio quality, if that's what you're looking for. .

OK, I'll bite. Just what exactly makes a stereo amp of "studio
quality" better than an otherwise excellent stereo amp?

I would concede the Yamaha consumer power amp is not "professional"
in terms of ruggedness etc, also in studio applications I can see
that balanced inputs might be necessary, but for the purpose of
reproducing stereo sound, as opposed to reinforcing it, I cannot
think of any qualities that would make a "studio" amp preferable in
terms of sound quality.

Nope, the differences would be in flat response, slew rate, THD, IMD,
damping, etc, along with other differences not shown in the published
specs. Just like studio monitor speakers, studio monitor amps have
different requirements than do sound reinforcement systems, or even
living room stereo systems. I've used Yamaha sound reinforcement
equipment will good results in the past, and I have nothing against
them in this respect. However, Yamaha sound reinforcement and
consumer home equipment isn't designed for the studio, any more than
any other company's SR or home equipment is.

You've not really answered the question. THD, IM, slew, etc are ordinary
specs which were quoted for consumer stuff as well.

"other differences not shown in the published specs."

Doesn't make it on a technical group. If someone else used that line on you,
you'd probably hammer them, yes?

I'm not disagreeing about the desirability of a studio monitoring amp for
studio monitoring applications, I'm just not sold on the sonic reasons,
except possibly the exceedingly minor sonic differences from using balanced
inputs, etc. I'm thinking that in a studio environment the primary reason
for balanced inputs is mainly for hum rejection, not sound quality as such.

Then there are issues of reliability. Many of Yamaha's consumer amps were
somewhat flammable. I think it's reasonable to assume that a professional
amp would tend to be more reliable, since the internal parts used , the
construction and (hopefully) electrical design are done in a much less
cost-conscious manner than consumer gear.

Once again - not necessarily any sound-quality related reasons, just
practical stuff for the professionals.

Mark Z.