Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

Default Getting more punch from heavily distorted guitars?

On 30 Jan 2018, wrote in rec.audio.pro:

I bought a Kemper Profiler which "profiles" the sound coming from
a mic in front of an amp. They are REALLY, REALLY accurate.
There are tons of A-B comparisons to judge for yourself. It ain't
cheap at $1700, but I haven't mic'ed an AMP since it arrived last
spring. Many of the Michael Britt profiles are free with
it...Stunning. And it had bass amp profiles, and dozens of
pedals, CRAZY. Where it departs from amp sims are in the clean
sounds. They have the depth and chime of real amps. The sounds
are taken from real amps/

So, what is the difference between the profiles that the Kemper uses
and the impulse response samples used in convolution reverbs?

I know a couple Kemper users, and they are very happy with that piece
of kit. I wish I could afford it! I use software amp sims for my
bedroom DIY recordings, but I agree, the clean sounds don't quite cut
it.