Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Annual Spring Cautionary Post - 2017

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 11:36:42 PM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:
On 03/02/17 07:32, Peter Wieck wrote:
Asbestos: Dangerous only when friable - small particles able to become airborne easily.

along with your other precautions, one trick I've done when working with
asbestos [I did this years ago when I was in the Navy - radioactive
asbestos even!] is to use spray bottles of water help prevent it from
going airborne. So get a spray bottle, fill with water, spray things
down a bit, especially while working with it, and if you must cut it or
in any way make the particles go everywhere, have some kind of
ventilating system that captures it [maybe even a makeshift one built
out of a shop vacuum with a HEPA filter]. But wetting it makes it
clump, so that can help a lot.

So yeah, you don't want that crap getting in your lungs. or anyone
else's lungs. EVAR. Proper air filtration can help a lot. maybe get
industrial type masks or forced air if you want to overdo it a bit...
but a spraypainting mask should be enough, I'd think.

One should also add a couple of drops per quart of liquid dish soap to that water as a wetting agent. Otherwise, it might just roll off the asbestos, especially in radios from smoking households or kept in/near cooking.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA