Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Doug Bannard Doug Bannard is offline

Default Tales of a Heathkit W7-M amplifier

"Roger Jones" wrote in message
Hi, Vacuumlanders,
I'm seeking advice and opinion on a vintage Heathkit audio amplifier - the
W7-M.

I was given one a few weeks ago by an old gent who built it back in the day.
It was a bit grubby but reasonably well constructed... although one resistor
(6AN8 plate) was the wrong value for the last 50 years! Now fixed. Of
course, I am compelled to refurbish it to add to the "toys" for use once in
a while...

This is an odd duck... it uses s/s Si diode doubler B+ rectifiers from a
180 VAC PT secondary and a 1/2 wave Se fixed-bias rectifier from a 40 VAC
secondary. Tubes are two EL34's and one 6AN8 (pentode amplifier, triode
phase splitter.) It has a physically large OPT, actually larger than the PT,
and tests about 3500 ohms impedance plate-to-plate.

The schematic is at http://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/index.htm

To keep this short (various unproductive farting about omitted!) ... B+ caps
replaced (two were dead, two reformed OK); fixed bias filter caps reformed
OK; all paper coupling/decoupling caps replaced; EL34's very weak (pity!),
so replaced with 6L6's to hand; 6AN8 tested good; DC voltages look about
right.

Variac-powered up carefully... no smoke! B+ good, fixed-bias voltage good,
AC power draw OK, signal gets to speaker. So far, so good...

But, max power output is lousy! The W7-M is listed as a "55 watt amplifier"
but the most I can get at 200 Hz is a bit over 10 watts. At that level, one
half of the waveform "soft clips".

More forensics done (with NFB off)... it clips asymmetrically in the 6AN8.
With the o/p tube grids driven directly with a P-P source (a centre-tapped
audio transformer, primary driven by a 10 watt s/s utility amplifier), I can
just about get 25 watts into an 8 ohm load at clipping - but at least it's
symmetrical, hard clipping, i.e. evenly maxed out 6L6's. Confirms poor 6AN8
performance, so that needs fixing in due course.

Here's some test data from the o/p stage-only test using new, Russian-made
6L6's, all just at clipping, fixed bias balance and level optimized:

115 VAC in:
B+ at max load = 464 VDC
Across 8 ohms: 38 VAC, peak to peak, 200 Hz, for 22.5 watts RMS

120 VAC in:
B+ at max load = 478 VDC
Across 8 ohms: 40 VAC, peak to peak, 200 Hz, for 25 watts RMS

Bias around -30 VDC per tube... not much effect on the above, left at max.

Changed Se rectifier for 200 volt s/s Si diode, gives a couple of volts more
available bias. Repeated tests:
115 VAC in:
B+ at max load = 457 VDC
Across 8 ohms: 40 VAC, peak to peak, 200 Hz, for 25 watts RMS

120 VAC in:
B+ at max load = 481 VDC
Across 8 ohms: 42 VAC, peak to peak, 200 Hz, for 27.5 watts RMS. Just a
smidgeon better, but way off 55 watts!

Older, used but good 6L6's give results just a bit below the above, but very
close.

So, where to from here... some of my printable thoughts to date:

1. W7-M is not even a modest collectible... so, dump it "for parts or
repair", no big loss to the world! After all, it's only a old PA amplifier.
2. The W7-M is as scarce as hen's teeth, a priceless collectible, so keep it
"as is" for posterity... Ha, ha, had to say that!
3. W7-M was never "55 watts" - that was pure hype, so settle for 25 watts
with a rebuilt 6AN8 front end.
4. Ditto, but re-design and rebuild the front end as a true Williamson, i.e.
double triode amplifier/phase splitter and double triode driver stage
(there's space for an extra tube base hole in the chassis.) Fix the expected
VLF instability (addressed elsewhere) as OPT, although large, is certainly
not up to Williamson specs (plate-to-plate primary inductance likely nowhere
near 100H - that costs money!)
5. Put it on the shelf "as is" and wait for inspiration... at this point, an
attractive option!
6. Any other ideas?

Just thought... was Heathkit playing the IHF (?) "peak power" game. IIRC,
there was a promotional hype back then to advertize amplifiers at around
twice the true RMS power rating to sell basically crap equipment. But I
don't think HK did this.

All replies gratefully received, recognizing, of course, that none of this
is life changing. After all, it's a hobby... but I hate unfixed stuff!
Cheers,
Roger

Hi Roger:

I'm in agreement wqith both Flipper and John Stewart on this one. Your 6L6s
have approximately half the gm of the EL34s and will consequently require
about twice the driving voltage for the same plate current.

As far as Heathkit specmanship is concerned, I have never known them to play
games with "peak music power" etc, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of
55 watts out, although in UL configuration the EL34s are probably being
flogged pretty severely.

It would be a good idea to check for problems in the 6AN8 stage.

There's another thing that you should check however, as I have run into this
problem on other amplifiers. You should check the primary inductance of the
OPT. The simplest way to do this is to measure the exciting current on the
full primary, feeding it from an adjustable 60Hz source such as a variac
while monitoring the voltage across it and the ac current through it. Make
sure that there is no load on the secondary. You will be measuring the
magnitude of the impedance (Vpri/Ipri). The dominant term in this impedance
is the primary inductance, so to a first approximation, at 60 Hz,

Lpri=Vpri/(377*Ipri) in henrys.

You can start off at around 10 V rs and increase from there. You want
enough ac voltage to raise the flux density in the core high enough that the
core has some decent permeability. You should see the inductance increase
substantially as yoiu increase from 10V to 100Vrms.

If the OPT has no shorted turns, I'm sure that you will see inductances well
in excess of 100H even with only 10 V rms input.
If however the inductance is way down in the mud, then you have a shorted
turn problem.

I remember a few years ago evaluating a Quad 2 power amplifier for a friend
that he had just paid big bucks for on Ebay. The amplifier would only
produce ~6 watts at clipping, and the problem did indeed turn out to be a
shorted OPT.

Good luck and best Regards: Doug Bannard