Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Radio processing

On 19/05/2020 17:59, Tatonik wrote:

As best I can tell through a few minutes of listening, the WFMT internet
stream is unaffected by the sound changes in the analog broadcast.

WFMT is a classical station and WBEZ is a public radio news and talk
station (used to have some jazz, but not anymore). I'm surprised there
would be such a dramatic difference between stations.

What kinds of things are some of these stations likely doing to the
audio and why?

There is normally an audio "optimiser" in the feed to the transmitter,
doing things like tailoring the frequency profile of the transmitted
material so all the music comes out sounding similar, and compressing
the signal to make it more pleasant to listen to in fringe areas, with
fewer surprises as levels change between tracks or other audio segments.

Basically a multiband compressor.

There is an independent feed to the streaming server, which tends to be
closer to what is in the source feed.

This is one very popular make of optimiser.

https://www.orban.com/radio-audio-processors

--
Tciao for Now!

John.