Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Oktava ORTF question

On 11/05/2020 9:40 am, Tatonik wrote:

I have an Oktava MK-012 pair that I'd like to use in an ORTF setup.Â* At
the moment I only have the hypercardioid capsules, not the cardioid.
It's my understanding that, generally speaking, to use hypercardioids in
an ORTF-like way, spacing would remain at 17 cm but the angle would
decrease from 110 degrees to 90.Â* However, I recall reading (in this
newsgroup, I think) that the hypercardioid pattern on the Oktavas is
actually pretty wide - closer to cardioid.Â* In that case, would it
better to treat the Oktava hypercardioids as cardioids and start with an
angle of 110?

Try it out. They will work as ORTF for sure, probably with narrowing the
angle a little to give a solid centre. The determining factor will be if
the solid centre gives you a sufficiently wide overall coverage for your
purpose.

Pulling back will include more of the sound-stage, but may not suit from
a distance perspective with regarding performance versus ambience, and
tonality hf drop-off.

geoff